Friday, December 01, 2006

The Valley of Vision

We went to Tulsa to visit my sister, Gayle, her husband Greg and their daughters for Thanksgiving. During the down time and while others watched football I read the book titled The Valley of Vision by Arthur Bennett. It is a collection of puritan prayers. The following is one of the prayers that I have rewritten a bit for myself. Sorry but I do not recall the prayer name or page number.

Father,

Thank you for Christ who became all anguish that I might be all joy,
Who was cast off that I might be brought in,
Who was trodden down that I might be welcomed as a friend,
Who surrendered to hell’s worst that I might attain heaven’s best,
Who was stripped that I might be clothed,
Who was wounded that I might be healed,
Who was thirsty that I might drink,
Who was tormented that I might be comforted,
Who was shamed that I might inherit glory,
Who entered darkness that I might have eternal light,
Who wept so that my teas might be wiped away,
Who groaned that I might have endless song,
Who endured all pain that I might have unfading health,
Who bore a thorned crown that I might have a glory-diadem,
Who bowed His head that I might uplift mine,
Who experienced reproach that I might receive welcome,
Who expired that I might live forever,
Who rose from the grave that I might have hope,
Who chose me for his own that I might glorify Him,
Who loves me unconditionally that I might love unconditionally,

Oh Father help me to love and adore you with my lips and my life

Amen

No comments: